The International Mission Board is inviting all Southern Baptists to recognize Sunday, Feb. 5 as George Liele Church Planting, Evangelism and Missions Sunday.
George Liele Sunday is an annual Southern Baptist Convention event celebrating African American and Black pioneers such as:
- George Liele, who many acknowledge as the first overseas missionary from the United States in 1782.
- Lott Carey, who organized African American missions in the 1800s.
- M. Lockridge, who was a faithful preacher of the gospel in the 20th century.
- Sid Smith, who was one of the first African American Southern Baptist denominational leaders in the modern era.
- Fred Luter, who was elected as the first African American president of the Southern Baptist Convention.
Resources include videos featuring IMB missionaries serving in Brazil, a church bulletin insert, a prayer guide, and an activity sheet for children and families.
Materials and more info can be found at imb.org/george-liele/.
For more information, contact Jason Thomas, IMB’s African American church mobilization strategist at firstname.lastname@example.org.