The Sexual Abuse Task Force released an update Monday (Feb. 7) on its progress with the independent investigation into accusations that the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee mishandled sexual abuse claims.
In December, the task force reported that the investigation had progressed to the “document-collection stage.” The latest update noted that Guidepost Solutions, the firm handling the investigation, has “reviewed and processed a substantial amount of information in support of its independent investigation through the review of documents and contacting and interviewing a substantial number of current and former [SBC Executive Committee] staff and trustees.”
These interviews, the task force noted, are “essential in conducting a full, fair and comprehensive investigation and assessment.” They added that the interviews “also provide an opportunity for interviewees to offer recommendations and provide feedback as to how the SBC EC can create a safer community going forward.”
The latest update noted that Guidepost has engaged in the following activities:
– Conducted a town hall with SBC EC staff in Nashville and interviewed those who were in their positions during the relevant time period of the investigation; approximately 32 current former SBC EC staff have been interviewed to date.
– Contacted current and former SBC EC trustees to inform them about the investigation and request their cooperation in the investigation.
– Interviewed 54 current or former SBC EC trustees with an additional 21 interviews scheduled for the near future and 16 in the process of being scheduled.
– Continued to meet with survivors who have affirmatively reached out to the Guidepost investigative team.
– Received and reviewed the final document production (initially submitted in October 2021) from the SBC EC file servers, and reviewed documents obtained from the seminary archives housed at the SBC EC and from other sources. Thus far, Guidepost has received more than 4 terabytes of data.
– In response to the Guidepost document request submitted to the Guenther, Jordan & Price law firm in early December 2021, Guidepost recently received the documents that the Guenther firm claims are responsive to this request, totaling approximately 4,230 documents.
– Requested documents and interviews from the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission.
Additional updates will be posted to the Sexual Abuse Task Force website.