Here are the highlights from the first half of Monday’s meetings:
- The SBC Executive Committee met today and elected new officers who will begin their service at the close of the SBC Annual Meeting June 15. New chairpersons also were elected for each of the four work groups within the Executive Committee.
- Elected as the new chair of the SBC Executive Committee is Texas pastor Jared Wellman. Wellman, who serves as adjunct professor of apologetics at Southwestern Seminary, became well-known last fall for his motion to waive attorney-client privilege in the independent investigation of the EC’s handling of sexual abuse allegations within the denomination.
- South Carolina pastor David Sons was elected vice chair and Pam Reed of North Carolina will serve as secretary.
- The Southern Baptist Conference of Associational Leaders were encouraged to pursue unity and joy by Trevin Wax of the North American Mission Board and Steve Viars, pastor of Faith Church in Lafayette, Indiana,
- The SBC Pastors Conference continued this morning with messages from Mathew Mueller, Clay Smith, Marcus Hayes and PJ Tibayan. To watch the afternoon and evening portions of the Pastors’ Conference via live stream, visit live.sbc.net.
- Other meetings held this morning include the North American Mission Board’s SEND Espanol, the SBC Women’s Session and Asian American Collective of pastors and pastors wives.
For more stories from the 2022 Southern Baptist Convention Annual Meeting, visit thebaptistpaper.org/sbc2022.