Many factors can lead to trauma, and once people have been through a traumatic experience they may need help to heal and move on. Here are some resources to help with life events that can cause trauma, and provide help to heal.
American Family Central – 888-928-3471 – www.alabamafamilycentral.org
- Includes links to statewide services related to children, childcare, education, family services and health services.
211 Connects Alabama – 888-421-1266 – www.211connectsalabama.org
- A comprehensive site with search engines for all types of resources, including family support, housing, substance abuse, military and veteran services, disasters, mental health-related needs and suicide prevention.
Alabama Red Cross – www.redcross.org/local/al-ms.html
- Site includes contact information for various regions of Alabama related to preparing for and responding to various emergencies.
- Mid-Alabama Chapter (Regional Headquarters) – 205-795-8700
- Central East Alabama Chapter – 334-260-3980
- North Alabama Chapter – 256-536-0084
- South Alabama Chapter – 251-544-6100
- Central-West Alabama Chapter – 205-758-3608
Salvation Army – www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn
- Assistance includes disaster relief, services for the aging, help for domestic abuse and others.
- Salvation Army Alabama
- Alabaster: 205-663-7105
- Alexander City: 256-215-3730
- Anniston: 256-236-5643
- Birmingham: 205-328-2420
- Dale County: 334-445-3070
- Decatur: 256-353-2822
- Dekalb County: 256-997-0858
- Dothan: 334-792-1911
- Florence: 256-764-4432
- Gadsden: 256-546-4673
- Huntsville: 256-536-5576
- Jackson County: 256-997-0858
- Lee County: 334-826-0073
- Mobile: 251-438-1625
- Montgomery: 334-265-0281
- Pike: 334-808-1069
- Selma: 334-526-2718
- Tuscaloosa: 205-632-3691
- Walker County: 205-221-7737
Alabama Department of Mental Health – www.mh.alabama.gov; look under “Resources”
- Links to resources specific to mental illnesses, and a directory of providers as well as other mental health information.
Alabama APART Together – Emotional support – 888-442-1793
Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence – Hotline: 800-650-6522
Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Rape – Hotline: 800-725-RAPE (7273); 800-656-HOPE (4673)
Legal Services of Alabama – 866-456-4995 (English); 888-835-3505 (Spanish)
Credit: Shemica Terry, LBSW, who shared this information at the 8th Annual Mental Health Awareness Conference, July 16.