Messengers to the upcoming Southern Baptist Convention Annual Meeting in Nashville, Tennessee, will vote on a recommitment proposal called Vision 2025.
Originally launched by SBC Executive Committee President Ronnie Floyd in February 2020, weeks before the pandemic, Vision 2025 was relaunched in February 2021 and approved unanimously by EC members.
The vision outlines five strategic action steps meant to bolster Southern Baptists’ commitment to the Great Commission:
- Increase full-time, fully funded missionaries by a net gain of 500, giving us 4,100 full-time, fully funded missionaries through the International Mission Board.
- Add 5,000 new SBC congregations to our Southern Baptist family, giving us more than 50,000 SBC congregations.
- Increase number of workers in the field through a “calling out the called” emphasis and do better at preparing them for the work.
- Turn around the decline in reaching, baptizing and discipling 12- to 17-year-olds.
- Increase annual giving in successive years and establish a new path of growth that will lead us to reach and surpass $500 million through the Cooperative Program.
To help Southern Baptists gain a fuller understanding of Vision 2025, The Baptist Paper will offer an in-depth look at each action item in its May 27 issue.